Saturday, October 4, 2008

Zuma Dogg Meets Art Torres, Gloria Romero, Ed Reyes and Community at Barack Obama Rally at East LA Headquarters

First of all, I really do love living here in CD 14/CD 1 (Huizar/Reyes) district. Last night, I was at a wi-fi coffee shop, and there was a small private party with karaoke. At first I thought it was open karaoke, but they told me, "no," I couldn't sing. That was cool. But later in the evening, they aksed me if I wanted to sing. I said, "Elton John?" And they picked, "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" (Not my favorite, but good for the crowd that was there.) And yes, the superstar power of Zuma Dogg was clearly evident, as the small crowd jumped up and clapped, and yes, cheered the first time (and everytime) I hit the chorus!

Well, of course at that point, it was no longer general karaoke, but, "can you do THIS song, next?" As Zuma Dogg sang a string of requests from John Cougar, Eagles, Bee Gees, more Eagles, and anything else they threw up there.

SO LOOK FOR A ZUMA DOGG COMMUNITY EVENT/ELECTION RALLY THAT WILL INCLUDE A SOUND SYSTEM AND KARAOKE AND WI-FI!!! Convienently located for ALL PEOPLE in East L.A.!

AND SPEAKING OF "ALL PEOPLE"...that's who they were talking about when people like Gloria Romero rally the small gathering at the Democratic Headquarters for this morning's
Barack Obama get out and vote rally.

Art Torres was there, and much to Zuma Dogg's surprise, he greeted ZD with a HUGE hello, cause I see Art has a HUGE persona...told me he is in San Fran now, but reads my blog all the time -- and ZD and Art took a picture together. (LOTS OF VIDEO AND PICTURES COMING SOON!)

Gloria Romero was there and took a picture with ZD, too. OH MAN...JOHN AND KEN ALERT!!! (KEVIN JAMES ALERT, TOO!) I caught part of the speech...I wasn't rolling at first, then when she started talking about immigration and taking things back and Si Se Puede, ZD quickly started rolling...but it's as if she knew I WASN'T filming when she was saying all the stuff that would make poor John Kobylt of KFI blow-out his headphones, from the inside-out.
(ZD was outside being "warm and fuzzy" with Art Torres when she started.)

When I DID start rolling...she started talking about education, and there's still enough of the "take it back, we can do it, it's our time, si se puede, for ALL" talk to make the talk show hosts frustrated as hell.

And that IS the angle being taken, and using Barack Obama as the poster child to represent the "si se puede" movement that the Latino active community members are rallying behind.

BUT THE REAL NEWS HERE, IS THAT LOS ANGELES COUNCILMEMBER ED REYES STOLE THE SHOW WITH HIS ENERGIZING "HOME RUN" OF A SPEECH!!!

I had to give it up to Ed afterwards and say, "Damn, I've never heard you like that. You should be like that more in chambers."

Everyone knows, ZD and some others have given Ed a hard time cause he's so un-compelling and dull of a boring speaker at the council meetings. Maybe he gets nervous on the TV 35 cameras and needs to smoke a lot of medical marijuana before the meetings, too...

Cause in my opinion, even though OF COURSE the speech made me nervous as hell, because basically, from a politics standpoint, OH BOY...do we disagree. But I AM going to take the time to post Ed's speech (and others, too, hopefully) without bismirtching it with opposition comments, or annoying interuptions for no reason, the way public comment speakers are treated. Ed's been the low-man on the totem pole when it comes to inspiring talk at the Council meetings, so I want to let people see what ZD feels is a damn good rallying speech for the crowd! It's the least I can do for Ed, since the people in his district are so good to me! And just consider it ZD's media version of "mandatory affordable housing" -- since I'm the 800 lb gorilla in the media, and the only one covering these events...so I can give the other side a tiny morsel and I think people would like to see what is happening at these community events, as covered from THEIR point of view. YOU SHOULD HAVE HEARD THE INTRODUCTION BILL RING GAVE REYES!!! (Man, is THAT GUY spun...just kidding Ed & Bill!)

PICTURES AND VIDEOS COMING SOON. I MIGHT HEAD OVER TO THE SLAP MEETING AT 1:30 TODAY...MAYBE...would be nice to see some folks since I am already in the area. (The other Saturday meetings I was in Malibu/Agoura Hills area.)