BUT FOR NOW, the solution will be firing 2000 people. SORRY, that's what will happen this year. Then NEXT YEAR, they'll have to fire MORE PEOPLE to solve NEXT YEAR'S budget gap.
So the answer to, "What happens when you do nothing for two years, and when you finally start, it's too late and not enough," is you fire 2000 people the first year (not including cops and fire that will also be fired) -- then you fire more people the next year. It's like taking CDs to the used record store and trading them in for cash to get you through a once time cash flow situation. I've been there, done that.
The union leaders are hoping the city starts to do all things they re-negotiated, when Garcetti came out and declared we are one big happy family again," and the union wants to make concessions to avoid layoffs...but council is not acting...so it's gonna come down to 2000 firings this year to solve the problem, then more firings next year to solve that problem.
PARKING: Although council has not made a decision, one way or the other, regarding the parking lot leasing...CAO Santana revealed that the mayor included the speculative revenue IN the budget as part of the solution. So looks like they WILL be moving to a private partnership on the parking garages...debate, or not. HOWEVER, the market has not been tested to see how much the city can get. May be as disappointing as the revenue projections, themselves.
- @ZumaDogg's LA Daily Blog credited with BREAKING City Attorney story: - http://ow.ly/13fWZ
- I'm broadcasting my live Stickam stream at http://stickam.com/zumadogg started: Tue, 17:55 PST
- Sorry, City Council: It's too late for all the measures you're calling for now. Was 1 yr ago talk. Time for idealistic, future-talk is OVER!
- COUNCIL WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE A DECISION, MEANING THEY WILL NOT TAKE ACTION. What happens if no action is taken? They are not in reality.
- LISTENING TO COUNCILMEMBERS SPEAK today, sounds like they STILL are not ready to press trigger and are blaming CAO for no job creation. LOL!
- alarCON calls CAO's job creation efforts, "piss poor." Hey DICK, YOU are the councilmember, asshole, not him. It's YOUR job, putz!
- PRIVATIZATION OF PARKING ALREADY FACTORED INTO City's Budget answer. Oops, hasn't been approved & amount of $ might not be what's expected.
- ZD SPOKE WITH CITY HALL INSIDER: Answer to L.A. City's budget crisis will NOT be BANKRUPTCY, but layoff of 2000 people in '10, more in '11.
- ANSWER TO CITY'S BUDGET CRISIS: WILL BE THE FIRING OF 2000 CITY WORKERS...then LAPD. Sorry, just the facts.
- LA Daily Blog - L.A. City BUDGET MEETING Update and MORE L.A.City News (via Twitter) http://ow.ly/16tRTm
- Fifth Neighborhood Council Leader to face criminal charges for misuse of funds. KEEP PUMPING MONEY INTO LOSER, FAI... http://ow.ly/16tRTo