Thursday, April 24, 2008

Zuma Dogg Overwhelmed by Community Spirit At Sacred Heart Press Conference About Las Villas Project

As anyone who has read my blog knows, the proposed "Liquor Arcade" (as I dubbed the project) at Las Villas had Zuma Dogg's phone ringing and email box was hammered over, more than any issue I have come across over my two years covering LA City.

CM Ed Reyes was allowing a business serving alcohol with arcade games to set up shop across the street from a school and Sacred Heart Church. (Three school within close proximity, and the project was in violation of a law which prevents alcohol from being sold less than 500 feet from schools and churches.

There was so much community outrage over this project, that upon Zuma Dogg's return to Council Chambers for my first public comment in months...it was the first issue I spoke about, asking for, "a symbolic resolution to wipe the 'stupid cobwebs' out of the Councilmembers head over this project." Adding, "Something is wrong with this project." (It was more like shouting, and I was called out of order!)

Within the week, the project was pulled and it was announced it will become office space.

So Sacred Heart Church in Lincoln Heights had a press conference to thank the community for their support. Although it is fun to joke that ZD made on public comment and the plug was pulled (they joked at the event that the City didn't want to deal with ZD's public comments, now that I am back in town) -- it was actually because of hundreds of people who put pressure on city hall to follow the demand of the community, not the developer, this time. (Because of the issue of alcohol and school kids...the community was not willing to compromise.)

And someone who worked inside City Hall, stopped ZD on the street this week (in front of City Hall) and told me that the Councilmember really felt the pressure on this one. And that at these community meetings where the politicians break the bad news to the people that the project will be approved anyway -- they always try and drag the meetings out till midnight or 1 AM, so that a crowd of 200 turns into a crowd of 20.

THIS TIME...THE PEOPLE STAYED ALL THE WAY UNTIL THE 1AM ANNOUNCEMENT. THAT SEEMED TO HAVE MADE A BIG STATEMENT TO THE DEVELOPER AND THE COUNCILMEMBER.

ZUMA BLESSED BY THE PEOPLE AT SACRED HEART:
I bumped into LA Community Pillar, Jose Aguilar at City Hall on Wednesday. We were watching the mayor deliver a speech on the steps of City Hall (video coming soon).

Mr. Aguilar invited me to the press conference at Sacred Heart Church, that was coming up in a couple hours. I was tired and burnt out as hell, y'all; after six consecutive council meetings...sleeping in my van the whole time...and not enough gas and food money. So I was ready to get back to Malibu for the deep relaxation treatment.

But I could tell Jose was kinda disappointed that I was so close-by, so close to the actual event time. He tried to explain to me that there would be a lot of people really happy to see me. (I was thinking it would be 12 people -- including me, Jose and the Sacred Heart staff...and that it would be more "uncomfortable" having the black-knit cap/dark sunglass Snoop Dogg wannabe at the Sacred Heart church event with the Father and the nuns and conservative crowd.) He urged, but said he understood.

But Jose bamboozled me, by taking me out to lunch before we went our separate ways...AND BY THE TIME WE WERE DONE...NOW IT WAS ACTUALLY TIME FOR THE EVENT.

So at this point, even I felt I had come so far -- and was so close...why not?

SURPRISE OF A LIFETIME: Oh man...did ZD have THAT one all wrong. I counted a good hundred people. Zuma Dogg was the only Caucasian. And since he was wearing the ski cap and glasses, he stood out in the crowd.

Fr. Mario Torres thanked me for my efforts and knew about my blogging. I was introduced to one of the nuns who rocked Council's world by not compromising, as they hoped. And others from the Sacred Heart Parish thanked me for all the blogging and everyone knew about my recent public comment at City Hall.

Ft. Torres told me that he and his parish had showed up at City Council for public comment and he says Council wasn't paying attention. He had to ask for their attention, but he didn't feel he had it. To hear that a Father, in full collar and attire was sounding like every other frustrated member of the public who tries to tell their tale before council was very gratifying to ZD!

As people with cameras started to see everyone introduce themselves to ZD, the people with cameras started to take note...and people were taking pictures of ZD with everyone from the crowd. (Can't wait for those pics!)

The senior citizens of the community, really blew me away...as they stood around waiting for a chance to say, "Hello", telling me they see me on TV 35! And I'm kinda surprised by how many people commented on the blogging. (It's a good way to create a focal point for the community.)

The guy Steve, who had a three foot stack of paperwork he has been filing on behalf of the community went on camera to say, "I called Zuma Dogg about Las Villas a year or two ago, and he was the first person to write about Las Villas."

And when Ft. Torres was ready to deliver his speech before the press who showed up to cover the news...some of the people tried to push me up next to the podium to stand in for the speech. (The leaders involved wanted me right there in the photo op.)

But although it went against every bit of ZD media strategy...I thought the picture should look organic with the people from the community who did the real leg work. And didn't want to take a mega-pixel of attention away from any of those people. (And there will be pictures and videos with ZD and the crowd from other sources.)


Meanwhile, every time someone thanked me -- I reminded them, "I'm just the person who typed everything up for everyone. I'm just the clerical secretary for everyone." (It's true! I didn't do a shred of original research. 100% called in and emailed in from the community! So that's why I didn't feel I needed to stand next to Ft. Torres and the Parish for the actual speech.)

MAIN POINT:
A lot of people don't bother showing up to meetings or being active in the community because they don't think it makes a difference. It IS tough, and it takes a lot of work, and you don't get a victory every time. But Zuma Dogg, Ft. Mario Torres, Carlos Morales and everyone at The Voice Publication, Jose Aguilar and the behind the scenes leaders and investigators who provide us with the information are here to tell you...it CAN be done! It takes an issue, so outrageous that you have Zuma Dogg and Nuns posing together for the triumphant press photos!

THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE OF LINCOLN HEIGHTS AND THE PARISH OF SCARED HEART CHURCH FOR EMBRACING ME WITHIN THE COMMUNITY AND MAKING ME FEEL MORE BLESSED THAN I EVER HAVE BEFORE! (It was a church, so I shouldn't be TOO surprised!)

The people were happy that I showed up to show my support and they were thanking me for caring. But maaaaaaaan, I felt like I walked away thankful one!

UNBELIEVABLE!

ZumaTimes.com

And pick up a copy of The Voice newspaper in East L.A. A lot of people worked together to prevent this project...but ZD feels Carlos, George and The Voice was the central point that helped united everyone and create the momentum it took! And of course, Jose Aguilar...who is the king of three way calls!

VIDEO COMING SOON!