Al Ries and Jack Trout were the first authors/consultants to jump off the bookshelf, when I was just getting started in radio, and they have done more to shape my strategic thinking than anything else. They are international legends in the radio industry, and industry in general -- consulting the "who's who" of Fortune 500 companies and their brands including Proctor & Gamble and just about every top of mind brand that you can think of (or their competitor).
Their other books include, "Positioning: The Battle for the Mind", "Bottom Up Marketing", "Focus", "22 Immutable Laws of Marketing", Origin of Brands among other marketing staples.
Again, if you are reading this, ZD feels you will have a major strategy and creativity breakthrough after reading this material based on their concepts.
And not to name drop, but yes...ZD has spent numerous hours over the years interview Mr. Ries and Mr. Trout, on-air and in industry trade publications, and you can rest assured, both authors are very pleased with this representation of their material, and what is about to be presented actually sent a HUGE wave throughout the radio and record industry to the point where it is now a given that these strategies are being implemented. Again, as you read this, I'm sure you will be able to apply it to your career, as well.
THE "22 IMMUTABLE LAWS OF MARKETING" (Based on the book of the same name): by Al Ries & Jack Trout
1. THE LAW OF LEADERSHIP: It is better to be first than it is to be better.
2. THE LAW OF CATEGORY: If you cannot be first in a category, set up a new category you can be first in.
3. THE LAW OF THE MIND: It's better to be first in the mind than to be first in the marketplace.
4. THE LAW OF PERCEPTION: Marketing is not a battle of products, it's a battle of perceptions.
5. THE LAW OF FOCUS: The most powerful concept in marketing is owning a word in the prospect's mind.
6. THE LAW OF EXCLUSIVITY: Two companies cannot own the same word in the prospect's mind.
7. THE LAW OF THE LADDER: The strategy to use depends on which rung you occupy on the ladder.
8. THE LAW OF DUALITY: In the long run, every market becomes a two horse race.
9. THE LAW OF THE OPPOSITE: If you're shooting for second place, your strategy is determined by the leader.
10. THE LAW OF DIVISION: Over time, a category will divide and become two or more categories.
11. THE LAW OF PERSPECTIVE: Marketing effects take place over an extended period of time.
12. THE LAW OF LINE EXTENSION: There's an irresistible pressure to extend the equity of the brand.
13. THE LAW OF SACRIFICE: You have to give up something in order to get something.
14. THE LAW OF ATTRIBUTES: For every attribute, there is an opposite, effective attribute.
15. THE LAW OF CANDOR: When you admit a negative, the prospect will give you a positive. [This is an effective one, but council misuses it.]
16. THE LAW OF SINGULARITY: In each situation, only one move will produce substantial results.
17. THE LAW OF UNPREDICTABILITY: Unless you write your competitor's' plans, you cannot predict the future. [See Deming on how to adapt.]
18. THE LAW OF SUCCESS: Success often leads to arrogance to failure.
19. THE LAW OF FAILURE: Failure is to be expected and accepted.
20. THE LAW OF HYPE: The situation is often the opposite of the way it appears in the press.
21. THE LAW OF ACCELERATION: Successful programs are not built on fads, they are built on trends!
22. THE LAW OF RESOURCES: Without adequate funding and idea won't get off the ground.
ARE THESE GUYS GREAT, OR WHAT!!! And they are so bitter and cantankerous, just like ZD from being so aware of all the mistakes and we just can't believe these big corporations keep making them, and to me, these guys are a comedy duo!!!
Here are notes from Al Ries' "22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" seminar in NYC at the Doral Hotel (10/26/93):
PREVIOUS POSTS FROM THE HUMAN AWARENESS TRAINING BLOG:
Posted: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 05:51:00 +0000
YouTube VIDEO SEMINAR: NLP Co-Founder RICHARD BANDLER ("The Best of Bandler") - Human Awareness Training
Posted: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:27:00 +0000
NOW STREAMING: NLP Co-Founder RICHARD BANDLER (Mentor to Tony Robbins & Zuma Dogg) PLEASE WATCH THIS GUY!
Posted: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:11:00 +0000
VIDEO: Bill Clinton Speaks About Tony Robbins - Plus Tony Robbins LIVE VIDEO Seminar (See What He's All About)
Posted: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:40:00 +0000
LA Daily Blog Saturday Morning Empowerment Session - Richard Bandler, Chris Prentiss, Tony Robbins, Dr. Deming
Posted: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:15:00 +0000
Posted: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:57:00 +0000
Introduction to Innovation, Efficiency and Waste Reduction (Aka: "Methods for Management of Quality & Productivity" -- A NEVER ENDING PROCESS)
Posted: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 02:51:00 +0000
Posted: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:21:00 +0000