Friday, June 13, 2008

You Pick Up A Lot of Stuff By Attending The Council Meetings That You Don't See On TV (Alarcon Edition)

ZD'S BLOG STRATEGY UPDATE: I know not everyone can attend as many council meetings as ZD does, but I gotta admit...it helps to attend so many meetings -- as opposed to just watching them on TV. I'm gonna try and catch up and post some of the "inside stuff" I come across at the meetings. (And try to catch up on all the video piling up.) Here's some stuff...and see the thread about Cardenas at the Van Nuys meeting on the thread below. (Someone tell Candido Marez!)

ANTONIO MAY EVEN BE LOSING SUPPORT WITH HIS OWN COUNCIL PUPPETS:
Interesting that a certain CM who has always been a part of Villaraiogosa's political crew was quick to throw the mayor and his staff under the bus when speaking with ZD.

It was regarding Fuentes' AB 212 (the Assembly Bill that was pulled this week after Zuma Times and LA Times coverage). A certain Councilmember sure went out of their way to make sure ZD understood how AB 212 made it so far, without Council's knowledge, even though it the Assembly Bill had been around for ten months:

REASON GIVEN TO ZD BY CM: Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's Legislative Crew was asleep at the wheel like the "Bad News Bears" in the Sacramento office. I guess there are a team of Helen Kellers who are supposed to review all the legislation and should have known about this Bill.

ALARCON IS HILARIOUS: Speaking of AB 212 (the Assembly Bill that people say Cardenas and Alarcon put their puppet ASSemblyman Fuentes up to), here's a comedy gem by alarCON that gave away more than he may have wanted to give away to ZD. Here's what happened:

After hearing on Monday that Fuentes was pulling/had pulled AB 212, I went up to ALARcon at Tuesday's meeting and said, "Did Fuentes pull AB 212? I heard he did!"

alarCON says to ZD, "Really? I didn't hear that. That's not my district. Why would I be following that?"

EXCUSE ME!!! I thought it was an Assembly Bill with Citywide implications? Guess Richard just admitted to ZD that it really was about Wendy Greuel's Verdugo Valley Golf Course development, after all. (CM Con better be careful when he speaks with ZD. I'm a more masterful spinner and nugget sifter.)

THEN, He told me he hadn't heard about the extra wave of shootings that took place over the weekend. It was such a big spike, LAPD had to issue a "there's nothing to worry about" statement giving a bunch of reasons why this could have happened. It was all over the TV, radio and newspapers!!! BUT CM ALARcon HADN'T HEARD ABOUT IT ON TUESDAY??? (Spinning or ignorance...either way...not good.)

I'll put CM alarCON on my mailing list.