Friday, April 23, 2010

Zuma Introduces RICHARD BANDLER (co-founder of NLP) to the L.A. Daily Blog! (GET TO KNOW HIM!)

In 1986, when I was working at a Top 40 radio station in Columbus, Ohio (while attending OSU), I started to become interested in corporate management reading material (books), like "Marketing Warfare" by Al Ries & Jack Trout (Sun-Tzu "Art of War" applied to the marketing war of Coke vs Pepsi, etc.). Lil' ZD read with the Columbus radio market in mind (WNCI vs WXGT) and started to apply them at the radio station.

And when you introduce new tactics into a battle (like karate when everyone else is only boxing), it sent SHOCK WAVES! And at the time, not many people were applying Ries & Trout in the radio industry. As Zuma Dogg climbed the corporate radio ladder from Columbus to a New York City Times Square 40th floor office, I helped spread the "Marketing Warfare" tactics throughout the industry through articles I wrote, including personal interviews with both Al Ries and Jack Trout, themselves. (MORE SHOCK WAVES! HOW DID ZD GET RIES & TROUT?)

Somewhere between Columbus and NYC, I was working at a "dysfunction pit" radio station in Houston where marketing strategy couldn't even be the problem, cause you couldn't make a copy on the copy machine without all hell breaking lose.

That's when I read an article in the LA Weekly of Houston about a seminar that was coming up from a quality and productivity consultant, Dr. W. Edwards Deming. As I read the article about all the problems management makes in the day to day operations of the workplace, I thought he had our radio station on closed-circuit camera for the past year, and was reviewing the station I was working at.

So to me it said that these are universal problems with universal solutions. I thought our station was just nutty cause it was the crazy, partying radio and record industry. But, NO! Apparently, the auto industry in Detroit was suffering from the same mismanagement. (SEE ANTONIO, it's not just YOU. YOU just refuse to address the issue and do anything about it.)

I attended the Deming four day seminar in '91 while working at the Houston station and I'm still talking about it on a semi-daily basis to this day.

Many of you know I feel nothing is going to work in your office or city hall unless it is being operated under a Deming philosophy. (Sorry!)

So one night when I was watching a Tony Robbins infomercial in the early '90s, after I was into Deming, I noticed the things Tony was saying during a certain part of the segment was very much out Deming's teaching. (Deming talk.)

So the next day I called the Tony Robbins center and asked, "Is Tony a student of Dr. Deming?"
The person on the phone was quite proud to tell me that Deming WAS INDEED a big influence after Tony attended a Deming four-day seminar, himself.

They said they could send me an audio tape of actual footage from a LIVE Tony event, and that was then next breakthrough for me, personally, on top of Ries & Trout and Dr. Deming.

Tony's material focuses a lot on corporate strategies, too, but his material also includes a lot about "communication" and strategies for creating change, quickly, as opposed to traditional therapy "conventional wisdom" saying it takes YEARS to get to the bottom of things and create any real progress.

A large chunk of Robbins' program is based on something called NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) based on the work of John Grindler and RICHARD BANDLER. (Tony has credited them as being the people who taught him this stuff, but Robbins' eventually created his own moniker for the process called NAC (Neuro-Associative Conditioning).

Whatever you call it, most people call it, "hypnosis" or "hypnotherapy" and I don't like those words cause it makes people thing of a hypnosis watch as someone makes you cluck like a chicken. THAT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AND IS NOT WHAT THIS IS.

Hypnosis or hypnotherapy is merely the process to get someone to relax their mind and body so they can take in what the therapist is saying. And in the video now streaming, you can see exactly what this process (of hypnotherapy) actually entails. And I'll briefly tell you, the main thing it entails is influencing someone through strategic phrasing.

To give you a city hall example, for you activists, when Wendy Greuel stands up and says, "People say no one goes Downtown to Mocha on a Saturday, but I love to take a trip with my kids Downtown on Saturday morning." WELL, I think Bandler would say, "leave out the first twelve words and start from there."

Richard is also big on "tonality" and I guarantee you, twenty minutes with Richard Bandler and Janice Hahn would be speaking through her mouth instead of her nose. (RIGHT, Richard!)

Anyway, as I was scanning the net for some more Deming videos, I came across some Richard Bandler videos and it reminded me how great he is and how much I love him. (As much as you can love a guy like Richard.) He's about as warm and fuzzy as Zuma Dogg first thing in the morning when I haven't eaten since last Tuesday. BUT, he's extremely compelling to watch and you LEARN as he speaks. (Like ZD, he is motivated by the crankiness of not being able to STAND seeing things "not working" when they easily could be working.)

This is the type of material (Ries, Deming, Robbins, Bandler) that I was into before I became a city hall activist and used Ries' strategy of focus to concentrate on ALL CITY HALL.

Feels good to balance that out with some of this stuff that will only benefit you, no matter who or what you support in the next election. AND I NEED IT! (Got a little off kilter there for a few years..heah heah!)

NOW STREAMING: Richard Bandler on the" Zuma Show" Video Stream. (Part 1)

ARCHIVE: Introduction to DR. DEMING VIDEO from yesterday.